Monday, February 9, 2015

Week 1 - Quintana Roo, Mexico



leaving from the Miami airport


(no idea who the guy in the orange shirt is....)

when the plane landed in Cancun
we knew to be ready for the hard sell transportation people
I hate that about the Cancun airport
but even we were amazed at how aggressive they had gotten
telling us we had to have a transportation plan to leave the airport
we walk out with them still yelling
then to find out outside that the price had doubled for a cab to Akumal
well we'll walk I say
I can hear them calling senora senora no es possible as I walk away

well we just walked to the corner and a real cab (not an airport one)
picked us up and took us to Akumal for almost the same price as last year
(which is still plenty high)

it is not about the money but about being ripped off
did I tell you about the empanada lady?

well years ago when the kids and I were renting a house in Mulege, Baja
the lady next door made empanadas to sell in the market
I loved her empanadas and so did the kids
I bought several everyday - she said I was her best customer
then one day she says the price of empanadas has gone up
how much - double?  really
how many do you want she says
none I say
what - you love my empanadas
I explain how it was uncool to double the price on a good customer
she went away muttering,  but she loves my empanadas.....

 *******


I am starting to question if I just don't have the patience for travel anymore....


***********


we stayed at Nai Na in Akumal

(found on airbnb - I love airbnb!!)



and I love that place - I stayed there last year
(so cool what they do with the towels - everywhere in the yucatan they do this)



it has a great cool and shady patio to the jungle 


and a lovely bedroom

the snorkeling was first class this year, clear water, lots of fish

first  we snorkeled at Akumal Beach
which means beach of the turtles in Mayan




they have restricted the beach even more this year
they are cutting back the area for free swimmers
and making the good areas for people who go in a group with a guide
so many more people this year....

 we did swim with a few turtles though

(obviously too good to be my photo...)

and we scared ourselves when we swam over a gigantic ray
I mean giant!
we were sure it was a sting ray but now looking at photos on line I am not sure
except it was huge and had a very long tail
and it was like breath stopping scary

that was enough for one day....

next day we snorkeled Yal Ku lagoon


we swam over to the beach and Willi found this amazing fossil
it was big and heavy and hard to swim back but we wrapped it in W.s shirt
and tied it on me

the lagoon is one of my favorite places to swim



so many kinds of fish



easy access - and those are rocks you can stand on, not coral
(everyone knows it is not good to stand on coral)

our friend who lives up stairs took us on a tour


he has a good car in his life now and wanted us to see a small temple
hidden far into a development

Puerto Adventuras


 it was ugly, crowed and a blight on an otherwise nice spot


everything past the last red dot on the left - was off limits
but our friend knew the guards and we sailed in
it was all just being developed only the roads were in

see the lagoon on the left surrounded with green
ok now see a little dot on it


that little dot is this small Mayan building
it is hard describe how powerful a place that was
on this beautiful pristine caleta
(which is what they call a lagoon)


I was reading a wonderful book that week
from one of my favorite authors



it was  historical fiction set in the Caribbean island of
Saint Domique ( current day Haiti) in the late 18th century

  
it was hard to leave but Belize was calling



gracias para toto mi amigo

on to Bacalar


an easy 3 hour ride south, just north of the Belize border


our first view of the lake is from the town, it was a little cool and rainy
which did not stop us from having a great fish dinner

they do call this a lagoon and it is about 50 miles long, north to south
and the second largest freshwater lake in Mexico

we stayed about 2 miles north of town at  a place called Ecotucan

http://www.ecotucan.com/en/

we did not see any toucans, though they say they are there
- we did see them later in Belize


which had adorable little cabanas



with very comfy beds


and great geometic tile in the bathroom

next day we were on the lagoon


  the white sandy bottom of limestone made the water a wonder turquoise


 it was so calm


 right here we found several potshards
looked like a good place to get water

coconuts just wash up and sprout






it was a great kayaking day
swimming in the lagoon later
a great dinner
I could have stayed there all month......



oh but on to Belize - next blog


xxoo




















2 comments:

  1. Love the way you share your travel experiences! Your transportation problem at the airport was not cool. I was told that gringos are charged more because Mexicans reason that goods and services are worth more to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweetie! I think lots of airports are the same - can't walk out so they have you!

    ReplyDelete